Freight and Goods Movement
The efficient movement of freight, goods and packages is extremely important to the Denver region’s economy. Railcars, trucks, vans and airplanes move items to, from and within points in the region. Large amounts of cargo are transferred between these various travel modes and onto trucks at regional facilities. Most freight facilities and terminals are concentrated near the region’s freeways and major regional arterial roadways. Local deliveries and pickups to and from businesses depend on the reliability of regional and local roadway systems.
DRCOG addresses freight and goods movement in several ways. The Metro Vision Regional Transportation Plan describes the region’s multimodal transportation system used to move freight, including major multimodal freight transfer terminals. Information is provided on key commodity flow data, air cargo activity, and specific transportation improvements benefitting freight and goods movement. These include replacing at-grade railroad crossings with grade-separated ones, improving intersection turning radii for trucks, better shoulders, and managing the system to reduce congestion and improve travel time reliability.
DRCOG’s Congestion Management Program addresses one of the most important freight issues by working to reduce traffic on the region's roads. DRCOG also works closely with CDOT’s Freight Advisory Council and statewide freight planning process. Finally, DRCOG is working with CDOT, local governments, railroads, motor carriers, and other stakeholders to prepare a Regional Freight Movement Study.
DRCOG has participated or currently engages in numerous freight stakeholder activities including:
- I-70 Mountain Corridor Coalition (ongoing)
- CDOT MPO Town Halls (April-June 2014)
- CDOT Freight Advisory Council (July 2015, ongoing)
- DRCOG Commercial Vehicle Survey (2015-2016)
- DRCOG Regional Freight Movement Study (2015-2017)
- CDOT State Freight and Passenger Rail Plan Work Group
- CDOT Multimodal Freight Plan and State Freight and Passenger Rail Plan Joint Project Advisory Committee (JPAC)
- DRCOG Freight and Goods Movement Update (current)