Firefighter Intraregional Recruitment and Employment
Are you interested in working as a firefighter or EMT in the Denver region? The Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG) oversees the Firefighter Intraregional Recruitment and Employment (FIRE) program on behalf of 13 member districts/departments.
This means you only need to go to one place to apply to 13 different departments. DRCOG collects applicant information (including certifications and other documentation) and conducts an online timed questionnaire as well as an onsite written exam that is offered biannually (June and November). Once all application components are complete, applicants get submitted into an eligibility pool for recruitment. If selected, applicants are then contacted directly for interviews and further testing.
FIRE Application and Testing Steps:
- Review available test dates.
- Create an account, or login to your existing account.
- Select an upcoming test date.
- Complete your application.
- If you are not able to finish a portion of your application you can come back to complete it later, but it must be filled out in its entirety in order for you to submit it and complete your registration to test. REMEMBER: if you are in the process of getting certifications, you can come back to your application any time during the year it's valid and make updates. Keeping your file current is important, but don't delay completing your application because you're waiting for copies of certfications or other documents you wish to add to your file.
- Complete the timed questionnaire. You will have 25 minutes to complete.
- Bring your release waiver with you to the test
- You must bring your release waiver with you, filled out in its entirety and notarized, or you will not be allowed to take the exam. The release waiver can be found at the bottom of this page in the FIRE Resources box.
- Take the test on the appointed day.
- Login here to view your test results.