Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning
Bicycling and walking are important means of travel for thousands of people in the Denver region each day. That's why DRCOG works to provide well-designed, strategically located bicycle and pedestrian facilities for increased and safer access. The benefits of providing bicycle and pedestrian facilities include:
- Enhancing personal mobility options for people of all ages and incomes,
- Reducing motor vehicle travel, travel costs, fuel consumption and air pollution, and
- Improving overall health with increased physical activity
DRCOG Bicycle and Pedestrian Products
DRCOG has produced valuable resources for bicycle and pedestrian planning including:
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Element of the 2035 Metro Vision Regional Transportation Plan provides a plan and guidance for providing quality facilities and encouraging pedestrian and bicycle travel in the DRCOG planning area
- Guidelines for Successful Pedestrian and Bicycle Facilities in the Denver Region provides a valuable reference for communities that are planning for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety in the Denver Region (May 2012) analyzes collisions in the Denver region between a pedestrian or bicyclist and motor vehicles, and identifies mitigation strategies to prevent or reduce pedestrian and bicycle crashes.
- The Denver Regional Bicycle Map is intended to provide information about bicycle facilities in the region. Bicycle facilities are a form of cycling infrastructure consisting of on-street bicycle routes and lanes, protected bike lanes, and off-street trails designated for use by cyclists. The map also includes some additional information related to bicyling such as bicycle share stations (B-cycle) and transit park & ride locations in an effort to help riders in their route planning.