Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning
Bicycling and walking are important means of travel for thousands of people in the Denver region each day. That's why DRCOG works to provide well-designed, strategically located bicycle and pedestrian facilities for increased and safer access. The benefits of providing bicycle and pedestrian facilities include:
- Enhancing personal mobility options for people of all ages and incomes,
- Reducing motor vehicle travel, travel costs, fuel consumption and air pollution, and
- Improving overall health with increased physical activity
Active Transportation Plan
DRCOG Bicycle and Pedestrian Products
DRCOG has produced valuable resources for bicycle and pedestrian planning including:
- 2040 MVRTP Active Transportation Component provides an overview of active transportation facilities and activity in the region and outlines key considerations to improve the transportation network for cyclists and pedestrians. This will be updated by the Regional Active Transportation Plan, currently underway.
- Guidelines for Successful Pedestrian and Bicycle Facilities in the Denver Region provides a valuable reference for communities that are planning for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety in the Denver Region (May 2012) analyzes collisions in the Denver region between a pedestrian or bicyclist and motor vehicles, and identifies mitigation strategies to prevent or reduce pedestrian and bicycle crashes.